Friday, January 9, 2015

Latest Work of Art


Yesterday you would have found me scattered...in a sense that I was keeping busy with many things at once.  At one moment I was bent over a table skinning a little bird for a taxidermy project, the next I was checking my goats with Dad, and lastly I was "prettying" up a deer head.  Really, I was doing all of those projects (and more, I think) throughout the day. 

Yep, in my life you never know what I'll be doing. 


But now, today, I'll be showing you what I made out of the deer head.

So, I had found this plain skull out in the pasture years ago and claimed it--quite loudly--before anyone else had a chance to see it.  Our family considers finding shed antlers, horned cow skulls, deer heads, etc. a treasure and I sure didn't want to give up this head that day.  And thus I brought it home...never once thinking I'd be doing this to it so many years later.

Anyhow, I was looking on Pinterest not long ago and came across a deer head which someone had decorated with flowers and gold paint on the antlers, teeth, and nose.  I thought it look neat and pinned it to my taxidermy board.

But later I began processing an idea through my mind.  I could easily make a deer head similar to the one on Pinterest, and with five people collecting deer heads for many, many years, I wouldn't have a problem finding one to decorate.

~What I used~
Deer Skull
Mod Podge
Paint Brush
Magazine Paper

Mom found the Mod Podge for me, I pulled out this old skull which was just collecting dust, and set to work.

First of all I got some old magazines and found all of the floral/pretty things inside.  For example, I used a bunch of bed spreads/throws from a magazine.  Next I began chopping pieces of all shapes and sizes, and, to be fun, I cut out little pictures like a black cat, a piece of pop corn, a pig, and even a Beatle (Ringo Starr) which I "hid" on the skull.  

When I had enough paper pieces, I painted a little Mod Podge where I wanted to place the paper.  I continued that for a long time.  

By the time I finished that, it was done.  I did, however, add an extra layer of Mod Podge to keep everything in place.  Lastly, I wrote down some of the pictures I hid on it.  Now, not only is the skull very colorful, it's a kind of I Spy game.

The best part is letting other people try and find all of the hidden things.

Maybe, if I do another, I will use only camouflage paper.  Let me know what you think...leave a comment!  Thanks.  : )  




No comments:

Post a Comment